Tuesday, February 17

Television teaches me so many things!

I recently admitted to being a new Biggest Loser addict. I love that show, and I love Jillian Michaels, one of the trainers. She's a hard-core butt kicker with a body I certainly envy. One of these days I think I want to try her 30 Day Shred, if I can ever find 30 consecutive days with time to workout (that seems VERY unlikely at this point).

So anyway, she was one of my favorite "fitness gurus." And then I saw last week's episode of The Biggest Loser.

On this episode, one of the contestants weighed in after 30 days at home, and only lost two pounds. The host naturally asked her if she was upset by that, and she responded quite bravely,

"Yes and no. I am stronger. I did things at home that pushed me just as hard as Jillian pushed me here. I know I built muscle, I know I built endurance, so I'm back to build some more and that's what's necessary to shed the fat off anyway, so I'm gonna do it."

Good for her. But then Jillian pipes up, and calls her explanation "bullsh**," going into a nice long rant with Bob chiming in about not making excuses and sugar-coating it, and how she has to lose 100 lbs and thank goodness she's back and that's what they'll do. Well, ok, setting aside the fact that that was just plain mean, she has a point... In people who are 200-300 lbs, it is, to a certain extent, the numbers on the scale that matter. But then they cut to her monologue, and she goes off on the "bullcrap that goes on around weight loss:"

"Trainers pull that trick on clients all the time- 'You've lost nothing but you've gained muscle.' Oh I love this one- 'You've lost inches even though the scale hasn't moved!' What?!"

Oh man, I lost it. What. The. Crap. So then, muscle doesn't matter? I just want to move the scale? Oh good, so when I stopped working out in November and started living on sugar and fast food, I was still healthy cos the scale didn't really move even though my muscle completely wasted away. Awesome. And I guess the anorexics had it right all along! Screw being healthy, I just want to move that scale! Good to know. Thank you Jillian. You have inspired me. I now aspire to be like this:


In five short minutes, she made her way from one of my favorite trainers ever to one of the biggest idiots I've ever seen.

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Wow, Tara Reid looks hot!!

And I'm so glad you're coming! It will be fun! If you want to come a little early, you can even get a seat by me, so it won't be as scary. :)

Cynthia said...

Jen...You make me smile!!

Unknown said...

You go girl! It was so good to see you guys. It had been too long. I really like the new look of your blog (OK, maybe I haven't been here is a while),

Kristina P. said...

Jen, it was so great to meet you today! I hope you had a nice time.

I have to say, you are so fiesty on your blog, and in person, you just seem like this sweet, demure thing! You have a tiger lurking in there!

Jen said...

I'm "demure" in person because I'm debilitatingly shy. My blog shows my inner personality that comes out when I'm comfortable.

Jules AF said...

I will reward you with stalkage as well.... haha It was nice to talk to you! I, of course, love to talk a lot, so I didn't get to hear much about you. I look forward to learning about you on your blog!

Erin said...

It was so fun to meet you today! Thanks for putting up with my loudness. I kind of talk too much when I am nervous :)

And that picture looks disgusting. Anorexia is NOT the new cool thing, no matter what people say.

Shauna said...

It was great meeting you at the lunch yesterday! Let's do it again sometime for sure!