Monday, August 11

Vacation Update: Part 2, or Lake Powell!

On the road!

Saturday night we caught up with the rest of the Christensen Caravan on the highway and headed down to Lake Powell. We stopped in... somewhere... at 10 or 11 at night to sleep in a little motel for the night. Our room-- us and Jordan and Cassie-- did not sleep AT ALL. Well, the babies slept, like babies in fact, but come morning the adults consulted and realized that, independently, every one of us was awake 3-4 times/hour checking the clock and simply NOT SLEEPING. We should have gotten up and played cards.

Sunday morning found us down at the lake, loading the houseboat and shipping off. We camped only a little ways out from the marina (is that what it's called?), in sight of all the houseboats tied up to their buoys. It was a good place to camp, even though the water was a bit choppy most of the time. The majority vote was in favor of being so close to "civilization," so a trip to get ice or water (or ice cream!) took only about 15 minutes round trip. And considering how the experience is rapidly changing with all the babies around, I think most trips in the future will be similar.

Powell was tons of fun, as always. We took a day trip to Rainbow Bridge, which made the babies pretty unhappy, but it was fun. I advanced my skills in boat driving. I tried too quickly to advance my skills in wakeboarding and had a few pretty bad falls, which resulted in me being terrified of the wakeboard for most of the week. I was barely starting to get over it as the week ended. We did tubing, which also scared the crud out of me. I don't remember it being that hard to hang on last year! I was flying all over the place! But the second time we went (after letting Heather and her sister go for a while) I had a lot more fun.

The rest of the week consisted of the standard day-to-day Lake Powell activities. Brit almost lost his wedding ring once-- I grabbed his hand and it slipped off and fell to the bottom of the lake. But we found it! Or he found it. I tried to exercise every morning by swimming out around the campsite before breakfast.......... that actually happened twice. The rest of the time, we lounged about and read our books and jumped in the water when it got too hot. A successful week, I'd say. I'm just sad it had to be cut short AGAIN.

Colby, a regular sailor

The true spirit of Lake Powell

Me, on the wakeboard, probably looking terrified. I can't tell.

Rainbow Bridge.... also the background of the picture of Me and Brit currently on the left-hand side of the page.

After I started getting used to the tubes.... and before I started trying to kick my husband off of his.

Me, looking all captainy, driving my father-in-law's boat.

Brit, looking all sexy and in charge of Little Boat for our day trip.

It took me a few days to get my "land legs" back. I kept on feeling like I was on a rocking boat. We made it back home by about 11:30 Thursday night, visited with my Brother and Sister-in-law who were crashing our apartment for the family reunion, and went to bed. Family reunion update still to come. And maybe a whine-fest about my job somewhere in there.


heather said...

I love your commentary for the pictures - makes me laugh! ps - I love the new blog look! Miss you guys already!

Cynthia said...

Yeah for Lake Powell! Great memories!!!!!